Prepare the pattern piece
- Length of the collar piece = length of the finished neck edge at 1/4" + 4" for overlap and turn of the cloth.
- Width of the collar piece = 8 - 12"
- Interface the shoulder seams and the neck edges of the top
- Interface the collar piece with stretch interfacing
- Sew the shoulder seams.
- Fold the collar piece in half, lengthwise, with RS together and sew the short ends in 1/4" seam.
- Turn collar right side out.
- Baste the raw edges together.
- Place a pin at CB on the top and on the collar.
- Overlap the collar edges by however much is needed to make the collar edge and the neck edge the same (should be about 2").
- Drop the collar into the 'hole' of the neckline with RS together
- Line up the CB pins of the top and the collar and then offset the collar by however much you want.
- Sew a 1/4" seam +/- overlock it.
- Press the seam towards the top and topstitch from the right side.