Thursday, 3 May 2012
The base skirt pattern was one I had in my stash, young Burda #8237, a low waisted mini which I lengthed to a finished CBL of 44cm (it was 35) - heaven knows what this pattern was doing in my stash.
To start with, I tore all of the coordinating fabrics (except the lace) on the straight grain. I wanted to make sure they would fray easily and I didn't want to have to buy oodles of fabric just to get bias strips so I used the straight grain. I sewed down each side of the strip at about 1/4" using a small straight stitch then deliberately frayed the edges right up to the stitching line. This sounds like a perfectly simple process, and it is, but time consuming - I spent the better part of four long hours doing this. I could have sewn the skirt twice over!
Paul, like Bob, is a staunch supporter of all things sewing.