Saturday, 2 July 2011

Fabric brooches


When I was on holidays in New Zealand, quite some time ago, I saw some beautiful brooches by artist Tamsin Cooper.  She had hand-stitched seed beads into patterns on some, french knots onto others and embroidered others.  They were so fine and delicate.  I had a peek into how she made the backing brooches to see how the basic brooch block was made...

  Firstly, cut 2 circles out of cardboard, one slightly larger than the other.  Then cut a circle the size of the larger circle from fusible pellon.  Next, cut circles from fabric, 1 1/2 times bigger than each of the cardboard circles.

  Run a small gathering stitch around the outside of each fabric circle, leaving a tail.
 Lay the pellon circle over the larger cardboard circle and then cover with the large fabric circle.  Draw the thread up and gather the edges in.  Cover the small cardboard circle in the same way, having first sewn a brooch back to the middle of the fabric circle.

 Using small stitches, sew the small fabric-covered circle to the larger one.

 The finished brooch

 Lots of finished brooches!

 

4 comments:

  1. Hello, constantly i used to check web site posts here in the early hours in the daylight, since i love to gain knowledge of more and
    more.

    Visit my web blog; Chaussures De Football Pas Cher

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello! I've been reading your website for some time now and finally got the courage to go ahead and give you a shout out from Kingwood Tx! Just wanted to tell you keep up the great job!

    Also visit my web-site: Cheap Jerseys ()

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aw, this was a very nice post. Finding the time and actual effort to generate a really
    good article… but what can I say… I hesitate a lot and never manage
    to get nearly anything done.

    Here is my blog post: Kevin Durant Shoes 2013

    ReplyDelete
  4. This design is incredible! You obviously know how to keep a
    reader entertained. Between your wit and your videos, I was almost moved
    to start my own blog (well, almost...HaHa!) Excellent job.
    I really loved what you had to say, and more than that, how
    you presented it. Too cool!

    my web blog Nike Air Max

    ReplyDelete