Friday, 24 June 2011

I'm so happy I'm a sewer

Just last week I found myself in my favourite clothes shop about to buy several gorgeous tunics to wear over skinny leggings when I suddenly realised I didn't have any plain, fitted, long sleeve tees to go under them!  What to do? This particular shop does stock such tees but they must be very special because they retail for around $90 each.  I could go to Cotton On and buy something cheap and nasty that probably won't fit? Hmmm, I want them in specific colours and weights too...  what to do, what to do.... Happily, I was only a few minutes drive from my favourite fabric shop and it was here that I found 4 perfect fabrics in varying shades of grey, black and white. Happily, I had already previously adjusted Kwiksew #3338 to fit me (really just an FBA) so it was just a matter of sitting at the machine and whipping them up.  It was meant to be. Honestly, if they took 2 hours each it would be stretching it - and I'm a sloooow sewer.

So the moral of the story is 1. yes, you are allowed to buy gorgeous clothes even though you sew and 2. sewing ALWAYS comes in handy!

KS 3338

For the dark grey version I decided to use fold-over elastic - I like the professional looking edge it produces.  I didn't bind the neck edge of all the tees this way: for very fine fabrics I find the elastic too stiff and harsh a contrast. Also, I only have black and white in my stash.


6 comments:

  1. Write more, thats all I have to say. Literally,
    it seems as though you relied on the video to make your point.
    You obviously know what youre talking about, why
    throw away your intelligence on just posting videos to your blog when you
    could be giving us something enlightening to read?

    My site - Converse All Star

    ReplyDelete
  2. naturally like your website but you need to check the spelling on
    several of your posts. Many of them are rife with spelling problems and I in finding it very troublesome to inform the truth on the other hand
    I will definitely come again again.

    Feel free to surf to my web site Louis Vuitton Bags

    ReplyDelete
  3. Magnificent beat ! I wish to apprentice while
    you amend your site, how can i subscribe for a blog website?

    The account helped me a acceptable deal. I had been tiny bit acquainted of this your broadcast provided bright clear concept

    My web page Abercrombie Bruxelles

    ReplyDelete
  4. We are a group of volunteers and opening a new scheme in our community.
    Your site provided us with valuable information to work on.
    You've done an impressive job and our entire community will be thankful to you.

    Feel free to visit my site; wealthwayonline.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes! Finally something about hover.

    Feel free to surf to my blog Read This

    ReplyDelete
  6. What's up, yes this piece of writing is truly good and I have learned lot of things from it about blogging. thanks.

    Look into my page Air Max Femme

    ReplyDelete